Our Feeds

Sunday, February 21, 2016

around the world report

10 Common Expressions in English


Hi, there.  My name is Valen, and this is a lesson on very common Englishexpressions.  We're going to go through ten really, really common Englishexpressions that you'll hear in everyday conversation. Okay, so in no particular order, we're going to start with one that you'llhear a lot.  This expression is "twenty-four seven. "Okay.  When someone says "twenty-four seven,"what they mean is, because there are 24 hours in a dayand 7 days a week, is they mean every minute of every day.  So an example is"You can access our website 24/7. "I wrote it down, just because sometimes you'll see it written this way,"twenty-four seven" or numerically like this, "24/7".  What it means is,"You can access our website any minute of any day, all the time. " So ifsomeone says, "Oh, I work 24/7," they're probably exaggerating, and whatthey mean is they feel like they work every minute of every day, 24/7. Okay.  So our next expression is "get the ball rolling. "Now what this expression means is to start something.  Soif you were going to start a project and someone said, "Let's get the ballrolling," what they mean is, "Let's start now. " This is a pretty simpleone, pretty straightforward.  So, "Let's get the ball rolling.  Let's start now. ""Get the ball rolling. "Our next expression is "take it easy. ""Take it easy. " So if someone saysto you, "I don't have any plans this weekend.  I think I'll take it easy,"what they mean is "relax. " This is a simple one too. "I'm going to take it easy. ""I'm going to relax. " So "take it easy. "Okay.  The next one, "sleep on it". If someone says, "I'll sleep on it,"what they mean is, "I'm going to take some time to think about a decision. "So if someone says, "I'll get back to you tomorrow. I'm going to sleep on it,"(I'll write that down. )"I'll get back to you tomorrow.  I have to sleep on it,"what they mean is, "I'm going to think about my decision andtalk to you tomorrow. " "Sleep on it," -- think about my decisionand get back to you. "I'm broke," a really common one.  So "I'm broke" doesn't actually meanyou're broken.  It means you have no money.  "I'm broke.  I have no money. "This is a really common expression that you'll hear all the time. "Sharp. " Okay.  Someone says to you, "The meeting is at 7 o'clock sharp!"What they mean is, "The meeting is at exactly 7 o'clock. " When someone says"sharp," what they mean is, "Don't be late.  The meeting will start atexactly 7 o'clock. " So the expression here is "sharp. " "The meeting is at 7o'clock sharp!" If someone says that to you, it means, "Be on time.  It willstart exactly at 7 o'clock. ""Like the back of my hand. " So, what this means is the back of your hand issomething that's very familiar to you.  You know it well.  You see it all thetime.  So if I said, "I know this city like the back of my hand," it means,"I know this city very well.  I am very familiar with it. " Very commonexpression, "Like the back of my hand. " You could also say, "He knows thiscity like the back of his hand," same idea.  You know something very, verywell.  It's very familiar to you.  "Like the back of my hand. "Okay.  So here's another one that uses the word "hand. " If you say,"Give me a hand. " So if someone says to you, "Do you want to give me a hand," itmeans, "Do you want to help me?" So, for example, if somebody is carryingsomething and they say, "Oh, would you give me a hand," they don't want youto put out your hand.  They want you to help them.  "Would you give me ahand? Would you help me?" "Give me a hand. ""In ages. " Let's do an example for this one. "I haven't seen him in ages. "So, what this means is "in ages, for a long time. " So "I haven't seenhim in ages.  I haven't seen him for a long time. " So "in ages" means "for along time. "Okay, our last one. "Sick and tired. "Okay, so "sick and tired" means"I don't like," or "I hate. "So, for example, if you said, "I'm sick and tiredof doing homework," that means you don't want to do homework anymore. You don't like it.  So "sick and tired. "So those are ten really common English expressions: "sick and tired,""broke," "in ages," "give me a hand," know something like "the back of yourhand," "sharp" - so "be there at 7 o'clock sharp," "sleep on it," "take iteasy," "get the ball rolling," and "24/7. " Those are ten common expressionsyou'll hear in everyday English conversation. So take the quiz below and test your knowledge of English expressions, andvisit us at www. engvid. com.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :
Previous
Next Post »